Thursday, February 12, 2009

Busy Bees

Lucy and I are taking a trip to San Diego to see Gardner a week from tomorrow! We're spending 3 weeks with him and will have lots of great playtime with friends! I'm thankful and surprised at how fast the last 3 weeks have gone, I'm starting to believe "staying busy" takes away worry and stress better than anything.

A few things that have kept us busy:

Gardner bought some of the "Little Hands" books on Ebay for basically the cost of shipping, thanks to Mandy for the recommendation. They are great, lots of simple ideas to spur thoughtful conversations and activities. I especially like "Fun with my 5 Senses". Lucy doesn't really like the repitition of workbooks and these are nothing like a workbook, they are quite charming and fun.

I've also been baking G/F breads in the bread machine, yummm... I had forgotten how delicious and comforting fresh baked bread truly is to the body and spirit. and muffins, I love muffins, they travel easily and are the perfect size. How about carrot cinnamon, yummm....

Making Valentine cards and hanging them all over the house. It a regular Hallmark store around here.

We've been sick so movies, lots of movies. We watched "Miss Potter" a few days ago, it was very good. She was amazing inspite of her mother.

Of course reading is one of my favorite past times and my latest self-help favorite is Dale Carnegie's " How to Stop Worrying and Start Living". This book is really speaking to me, I worry all the time and stress and get angry and obsess about what I said last week, if I'm being a good parent, I should do this or that, this list could go on and on. Maybe that's why my adrenals are broken and I have an ulcer! I try to be all laid-back on the outside because that is what I want to be, but on the inside I'm a mess, this book has turned a few of my worries around. I hope I can get to a place of little worry. I'm working on breaking the worry habit and let things go!

My new mantra is "One thing at a time", I say it at times when I feel flustered and feel pressured to do a million things perfectly at the same time, usually when I'm hungry and have low blood sugar freak outs, when I start feeling overwhelmed and also when I feel my mind wandering from the task at hand. I've made a song out of it and sing throughout the day, if I'm singing and thinking about the words I can't be worrying at the same time.

Can't wait to see Gardner!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Jen said...

we're looking forward to seeing you all again!! it's so hard when your life is not in balance, ours has been in limbo for a while too...still not steady but hopefully soon! chin up mama!

Blog Archive