Sunday, May 06, 2007

100 Year Flood

We are back in to our tiny oasis we call Pecan Creek. We have heard this is the year of the 100 year flood and we have seen rain everyday since arriving on Monday, April 30th. The vines are huge and out of control, we need to get out there and tuck them into the wires, they have grown past the top wire making this task unusually tough. First, we need to mow the rows, we are having a hard time walking through thigh high wildflowers but alas, mud, mud everywhere mud. I have managed to pull some weeds and till a bit of earth where I planted some cantalope, papaya, dill, asparagus and marigold seeds from last years harvest. I love papaya "trees" with all their tropicalness. I will make Thai papaya salad, yummmm. It's great to be back in our own home, I can relax and work hard gardening and breathe fresh humid, tropical feeling air, yes, stick to you, 2 showers a day air, ahhh feels so good. Reminds me of Southeast Asia, I loved the humidity then and am actually loving it now, it hasn't gotten too hot yet, we shall see how much I love it at 95 degrees next week.

Lucy had Christmas all over again playing with her old toys like they were all brand spankin new. Lucy says she likes it here, riding her bike, playing with Lindsey and Abigail. Having her daddy home and going to town with him. Life is good. Just wish our friends Mandy, Violet and Olivia and Evie and Qora were closer! I will miss having families around that share our interests in unschooling and parenting. I would love to be able to share our philosophies with people around here but I'm not a preacher or a speaker. What would you do if your friends laughed at their daughter for crying? I cringed as they drove away, the little girl looked so sad. We will see them today and I guess as I teach Lucy by being an example maybe I can live my way and become an example to others, I know no other way.
I can't wait for our seeds to sprout.

2 comments:

wayabetty said...

It's always nice to be back home sweet home after a long trip, I think. Oh, I can taste that papaya salad now. I'm so jealous you actually have a papaya tree. Eat some for me too!! ;-)

mandaroo63 said...

That would be so heartbreaking. I saw a similar incident at the park yesterday. A lady berating her daughter for going up the slide the "wrong" way.....I notice so much more now that I've been unschooling and have changed my views on parenting. (Love that Scott Noelle!!!) We miss you guys already! The jelly is great, thank you so much! Remember, I'm a phone call away......

Blog Archive