Monday, June 18, 2007

Traditional Foods

Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon is a "cookbook that challenges politically correct nutrition and diet dictocracrats" all about traditional foods, recipes for whey and cream cheese, kefir, yogurt, lacto-fermented veggies and fruits, organ meats and many other foods eaten 50+ years ago that the average consumer no longer eats because of modern methods of mass production and preservation. It's FULL of information on foods.



I've had it a couple years and finally found a source for raw milk in Cleburne, about 30 miles away. Miss Ina has 25 Jersey cows and has the most delicious fresh sweet CREAMY milk I've ever drank. I, being a cream lover bought the 2 gallons with the most cream floating on top, almost half the gallon jugs were cream. Then, I found a woman who sent me some kefir grains from across the country. Here are the kefir grains.



Kefir grains



I put the two together and now have delicious, no sugar, creamy and sour(lower lactose) kefir full of probiotics, minerals and friendly yeasts. It's wonderful! I used the kefir to make lemon sherbert from an NT recipe and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. That sherbert was better than anything store bought. Rich and creamy, lemony and sweetened with maple syrup and xylitol. Lucy likes it whipped up with strawberries and maple syrup.



I also made curds and whey with the raw milk by pouring a few cups into a jar and letting it set out on the counter for a couple days. It didn't smell horrid like milk gone bad usually does but more like yogurt.



Curds and Whey



I used the whey to make sauerkraut by shredding cabbage and adding caraway seeds and whey and pounding it for a while then letting it set at room temperature for 3 days. We'll be tasting it in about a month. The curds became a sort of cream cheese that I blended with herbs for a cheese spread, it was similar to chevre goat cheese. I'm amazed with these easy yet time consuming food preservation methods and the health benefits of all the beneficial bacteria contained in them. What do you think?

1 comment:

lola coca-cola said...

I think we're sharing the same kitchen, except that I'm not ready to do kefir yet but am addicted to kombucha. But I've always got some fermenting vegetable on and I really like the cheese that is left when you make whey.

Blog Archive