Friday, August 03, 2007

Our 1st, 2nd and 3rd Trip to ER

Lucy and I were visiting my mom up in Northeast Texas last weekend. A visit that was long overdue. On Saturday, we had lunch with my mom, my brother, his wife and daughter at Taco Delight. After lunch we were getting in the car and Lucy was playing around and had her back up against the car door when my mom opened it and she tumbled out, the back of her head crashing into the concrete curb we were parked next to, followed by: SCREAMING, CRYING by Lucy and my mom. Blood, Blood, so much blood all over her head and my hands. My brother jumps in the car and rushes us to the Emergency Room, this is the first trip to the ER for us.
By the time we see a nurse the bleeding has stopped and Lucy wants to go home, so do we all. Finally, after a couple hours the nurse practitioner comes in and looks at the wound. I turns out to be a scrape, not too deep and she doesn't need stitches but has quite a bump and lots of blood in her hair.

Noni, my mom, is traumatized more than anyone, she opened the door and feels responsible, it was an accident, Lucy should've been in her carseat. These things happen. We were all exhausted by the stress and went home to rest.

Sunday, we had a big lunch at Noni's with my brother and his family. Lucy started complaining that her throat was hurting and she felt warm to me. Late Sunday night, she stopped wanting to nurse and wouldn't eat, only ice chips and ice cream. She was very warm during the night and didn't sleep well. Monday morning, she wouldn't drink or eat anything, no ice, no mochies. We decided to take her to Minor Emergency ( i guess that's where people go instead of a Dr. visit) After a swab and 10 mins, we find out she has Strep Throat. The physicians assistant prescribes antibiotics. Lucy does not like taking medicine, it is a battle. She takes the first dose that morning and feels better within a few hours. She gags on the second dose that evening and will not take the medicine the following morning. So please tell me how do you get meds into your children, my mom says she's never seen a child refuse like Lucy. I told her the alternative is getting a shot, she has never had a shot and does not want one but is afraid she will throw up from taking the med. After trying everything to get her to take the meds, about 10:45am Tuesday morning, we go in for the shot. At this point, I'm crying myself, this is certainly not what I want but feel I had no choice. I had strep last year and it didn't go away with vitamins and herbs so although i wanted to take the natural approach, I felt there was no alternative. I felt like a bad mom, why didn't I catch this before it was FULL BLOWN?

Lucy was very brave and didn't even cry until after the shot and it hurt for a while in her hip. I didn't realize it would hurt for so long afterwards! She's fine now, of course it took me 2 days to recover from the exhaustion and stress.

What would you do in the case of Strep Throat? I would like to be better prepared next time, I read that after antibiotics kids usually get strep again within the year. For her immune system we are giving lots of probiotics, cod liver oil and a multi-vitamin. Any other ideas? Raw milk? Kefir pops?

I'm so glad we are home now, safe and sound.

3 comments:

Madeline Rains said...

Oh Amanda! What a terrible, stressful few days! I think you are doing the right thing giving her probiotics so that she won't get a yeast infection and cod liver oil, etc. Yes, I would give here the raw milk. Unlike the regular milk, it doesn't produce phlem, and if it does then you can stop. Raw milk kefir is better, sure. We use homeopathy for any infection, at the first sign of something being big. Can you go to a homeopath or a naturopath near you? If not, you can email me and I can hook you up with my MIL, who does phone consultations. My kids have never had to take antibiotics as a result of having the homeopathy. We also use it every day preventively. You are a great mom. A bout of antibiotics won't kill her and is better than a few weeks of horrible strep. email me if you want to - madnic@gmail.com

wayabetty said...

Oh, hugs all around for everyone Amanda. I remember our first trip to the ER, it was horrible. I think as parents, we have to make a trip to the ER at least once, but poor you...all 3 times.

Thank goodness Lucy is fine now, but I really don't have any ideas/tips on how to avoid strep throat. Sorry. Hopefully Lucy won't get it again.

mandaroo63 said...

Awww, I'm so sorry little Lucy had to go through that. I hope she is feeling much better soon (or already!) I don't know what to suggest. I know they are really trying to stay away from giving antiobiotics so that when they really do need them they are more effective. So, at least that is good. You may not need to worry about it. Especially since she probably rarely gets something like that. Take care....

Blog Archive